March 2010 Archives

House work '10

So a lot of people have been complaining about the lack of updates here so I'm trying to catch up a bit.

DSC00140.JPG

We're working in the "office". The old floor was very irregular (worn board, cupping etc.) so we used a drum sander to flatten things out.

DSC00152.JPG

This is what it looked like when we were done. The floor was all an off white color before we started.

DSC01403.JPG

Here's the new floor all laid. It's tongue and groove oak, random width. We had to get a little creative to make it all work out due to the room not being perfectly square but a friend helped us lay it out and it worked out to less then 3/4" off when we got to the walls.

DSC01555.JPG

Here it is finished. We chose Minwax "Natural", it's not to dark and makes the grain pop out.

DSC01562.JPG

Baseboard! These pictures are from today. Dad and I put some down yesterday and did a bit more today. We need to install a rail by the stairwell but besides that this room is very close to being done.

DSC01558.JPG

This is the bath room with it's new tile floor and doors. It's a hard room to get a decent picture in. A small closet still needs the shelves installed and a door built. I'm building a vanity (slowly but surely), it's getting close as well.

DSC01566.JPG

BJ's been busy too although she won't tell me what she's been up to...

Early Spring, 2010

Spring seems to be here early this year, which as a big winter fan I'm a bit torn about. The bees on the on the other hand seem to like this warm early March day!

DSC01551.JPG

These two are a few years old. Both started from Nucs that took forever to build up. I requeened one and the other requeened its self, that finally kicked them into gear. They went into the winter pretty strong and from the looks of it are doing OK. The colony on the right was my best honey producer last year and also produced one of the swarms below.

DSC01552.JPG

These are two swarms I caught last year. Believe it or not the one on the left was the later swarm (from the colony above). I pulled a small honey crop of them this fall while the one on the right just built up to a single deep before winter. I suspect there's a new queen in the singles future, I should have done it last fall but just didn't get around to it. They are flying in this picture, they're in the shade so they're weren't quite as many out and it's harder to see them.

DSC01553.JPG

The two older colonies in flight.

DSC01554.JPG

This colony is the oldest of my bunch. It started out as a package, quickly built up to two deeps and produced over 5 gallons of honey over two harvests in it's first year! Last year wasn't as good but the weather was just terrible in the late spring/early summer.